Liverpool Guild

Context

The Guild was undergoing a huge transformation, the physical space was being completely renovated, the organisation was overhauling its brand and their digital presence was being completely reviewed. I established our processes and used it to lead liverpoolguild.org through its first major redesign.

Discovery

The original site had been managed by a couple of agencies and had been developed for desktop. It was trying to do a great deal across every service and department within the organisation. An initial review highlighted very confusing landing pages and difficult menu structure.

I began digging through the historical Google Analytics data, surfacing some initial pain points. There were a great deal of drop off points within user journeys and the home page was generating a large number of bounce rates.

As an organisation they had not really used any of the data available to them, so I spent a good deal of time explaining the importance of the metrics we were gathering and how we could use them to shape future strategy.

Define

One of the benefits of a membership led organisation is that you have engagement across every aspect of the services you offer. So to use this to our advantage we started to interview different service members and those just using the website. It became apparent very quickly that if you used one service, there was a good chance you didn’t know about any of the other services, and if you did, did not know how to access them. There was a lot of frustration from groups not being able to manage their memberships (for societies, sports teams etc).

We had begun a full rebrand as well as starting this project and it made sense to combine the themes that were emerging from that consultation too. As the building was shut down for renovation it became a huge task to tie all of these things together to land ready for our opening in a year’s time, while still delivering our offer.

Develop

The disjointed structure of the site was pulling the members in different directions, so we began running card sort workshops with our personas. It helped clarify what was important, but also how our services were considered and compartmentalised by the users. It gave us an excellent starting point for our content and the journeys we should be creating.

With some of the interns and our stakeholders I led a workshop where we started mapping out journeys based on the priorities of the members and our respective services.

Deliver

I was able to start wireframing our new structure. Using the assets created for the rebrand I was able to rapidly move these to Hi-Fi for sign off and begin developing.

We were moving technology stack at the time, as a first adopter using the NUS UnionCloud (created in partnership with NUS & Arrk Group). The was a real challenge to understand the new technology and ensure that the new design could be realised and to ensure our journeys were created as they needed to be.

It gave me a good opportunity to get familiar with the technology and iterate where we needed to.

Success

The design and rebrand was fully delivered ready for the start of the academic year, resulting in:

  • 200% increase in revenue generated online.
  • 200% increase in traffic.
  • 70% reduction in bounce rate.¬†

I later moved our completely manual election process to being fully online and had the biggest voter turnout in our 100 year history.

Shopping Basket